Thursday, February 02, 2006

Next phase in ministry

Not too long after accepting Christ, I found myself with a desire to give back what had been given to me. After hearing about Jesus at a youth group, I really loved that style of ministry. So I naturally got involved in youth ministry as an adult. For five years straight I served in a youth group at Grace Church. It became my identity in many ways. When Marlena and I joined Paradox, I really examined myself because everything that I knew about service in the body of Christ was not directly applicable to this new church. No doubt, I wanted to get involved in a ministry again, because I feel God has called me to do so, but which ministry that would be was a large mystery.

I began praying for an understanding, taking a spiritual gifts survey, taking a personality test, asking others what they thought, etc. I had no idea what to do. The answer came over a two day period. Day one was a Saturday night at an all-nighter for the youth group at Grace, which I had agreed to help out at. I was in a discussion with the new intern there named Dan. Dan was in a similar spot in ministry, trying to understand what God would call him to do. Dan and I just had met a few minutes prior, but we connected immediately, and talked at length that night about life and ministry. When I was telling Dan why I enjoyed serving at the youth group so much, I came to a new understanding. I realized during that conversation that one of my favorite aspects to youth ministry is discipleship. Having life on life impact with another person is very soul-satisfying for me. It's not that I never understood this love for discipleship previously, it is just that I grew a deeper understanding of it in that gymnasium during that event. Perhaps the reason why I understood it deeper is because I was able to talk to a friend who I used to informally disciple a few years ago, his name is Mike. This guy had come full circle, to where he was duplicating our experience together with a younger guy. So the reward of discipling was fresh on my mind.

Day two was the next day, Sunday, at church. I napped all day after being up all night, so to me, it felt like the same day. After the church service ended, I was approached by the pastor (Craig) and I sat down in a meeting with him and Dennis (another guy who attends the church). Craig asked Dennis and I if we would be interested in co-leading the men's ministry at Paradox. Craig shared a bit about what he invisioned the group to look like, and the three of us dialouged about some of the dynamics that would be present. Keep in mind that I was completely undecided about where to serve at Paradox. Basically, the men's ministry would key in on these main elements: discipleship, fellowship, and spiritual growth. As the three of us discussed this, I felt convinced that God was now calling me to serve the men at Paradox. There was absolutely nothing about it that did not feel right. I was so lost for an answer, and the Lord clearly communicated his path for me. I kept thinking about how God made me, what I am good at, where my gifts are, where my frustrations are, etc. Everything fit perfectly with this idea of a men's ministry. Beyond all that, Craig and Dennis both felt that I would be well suited for such a position. So as if it was not a perfect fit already, now my brother's in Christ provide some outside input. So by the end of our quick ten minute meeting, I informed them that I was in. It all happened instantly, it was sweet.

Cliff notes: God revealed to me a path of future ministry.

No comments: