Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Get Rich Quick!

How many times have you seen it on TV? How many times have you been asked by someone you know? I have seen a lot of it, and I recently decided that I never want to be involved in something that is gonna make me filthy rich, really fast. I am not opposed to the concept of having a nice income or large properties, but I want to earn it over a long period of time and lots of hard work. I am not the best worker, and hopefully I will be better. But I don't think it is very natural to get rich quick. Most rich people I know made it that way not just by awesome talent or great ideas, but mostly by letting it build naturally over time.

Even if the product or service being sold is good, I am generally not interested because of the category it is inside of. I don't want to get sold on the dream of having all of the wealth of the world. Instead, I want the dream of sowing good seed, and later down the road, reaping a well earned harvest. So next time someone tells me of this awesome thing that is gonna make me swim in gold coins like Mr. Mcduck, I am gonna pass, not because I hate the product, but because I disagree with the unrealistic dream life attached to it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i also don't believe in get rich quick schemes; you can't get something for nothing.

but i've learned to be careful not to judge things by how they first appear. some things like that involve more hard work and personal change than traditional work and can be very rewarding personally and finacially.

many of the most successful organizations that exist today started out as smaller ventures that looked like get rich quick things. mcdonalds is a perfect example.

DaveKerwin said...

Anonymous,

I agree not to judge a book by its cover, so I hear all things out. But in the end, if I'm told how I will get rich fast, I mentally give it the boot. I'd rather be presented with an opportunity to make a smaller respectable, and predictable, amount. If I was to take on a side job, for example, I don't want some puffed up dream life attached to it. I'd rather work at starbucks, make a couple javas, and get paid on fridays. If starbucks told me how rich I would get from making a non-fat decaf venti vanilla latte no whip, then I would pass at the opportunity. I don't want to be rich quick.

Anonymous said...

why is a smaller amount respectable and a larger amount not?

money is not good or bad...just a tool. there would be no churches or missions without money. many christians somehow feel that money is evil...i wonder why that is?

DaveKerwin said...

Anonomy,

I am saying for me personally, I would rather work a job for less money, than work a job that sells you on a dream and "potential" wages.

Sure, some people assume money is just as evil as a bottle of beer (proper temperature and hoppy of course). But neither carry inherent evil, they just have been used wrongly so much that its proper use is hard to see. Are you assuming that I hate money? I don't, I just want to be wise with my expectations of attaining it. I think that any deal that makes you rich quick is most likely more about the dream that it is about the actual dollar you will earn. Sure... somebody out there made a ton of cash, but not you or me!