Monday, October 16, 2006

I want to own a gun and be tactical

I don't know what it is, but I am stockpiling tons of water bottles, canned food, charcoal, candles, matches, dry goods, frozen food, and the like; as if the world is gonna end tomorrow. Then I began thinking that my personal supply of weapons is serverly lacking. The best I got is a pair of nunchucks. So I borroed a book from Morrish, and it is about gun ownership, self defence, how to handle yourself in any combat circumstance, gun use policies, etc. So I figure after I have about 150 ramen noodles and enough water and fire to make that many meals, I am gonna invest in a gun. Morrish tells me to go for a rifle. Paryaski tells me to go for a shotgun (I can't afford to own both, or those plus handguns). Anyone who is NOT a Southfield police officer want to help settle the matter? And am I the only wierdo who is creating supplies for such circumstances?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a weird dude! LOL!
Dave, when is the next hot dog cook off!

John said...

The best tactical gun for home defense would be a handgun of the three.

The shotgun is too big and clumsy. Besides, unless you're shooting slugs, it's also too random to keep from hitting your loved ones as well as your target.

The rifle is too powerful and too big. Rifle rounds will go right through your walls and through the brick and into the next house in some cases.

The handgun isn't perfect for stopping power but it will get the job done, and it's small enough that you can move with it and you're likely to keep it by you wherever you go. [See the book: Handgun Stopping Power: The Definitive Study by Evan Marshall]

JL
Former Tactical Team Trainer [US Air force]
Current US Govt. Law Enforcement Officer

DaveKerwin said...

JL,

thanks for the note. I would have bought a handgun if I could afford one, but the shotgun was cheaper. I elected to buy an 870, and so far I really like it. In terms of safety of family, they will be behind me, and any potential threat will be in front of me, so I do not see that as an issue.

When funds are available, I plan on also buying a handgun and obtaining a CCW.

Now I need more training!! :)

John said...

I had a thought a while back to host some training a local gun range, to teach firearms basics and basic tactical principle. I thought it would make a nice guys night out kind of activity.

If you think this is something you'd be interested in, maybe it's an idea worth doing. It might be nice to make this an open invite thing at Paradox and throw in one or two other guy activities/eating. I'm willing to do it if there is interest.

JL

DaveKerwin said...

John, I hate to spoil the fun of the annoucement, but I am hosting an ATF party September 15th. I would gladly welcome you to teach one of the classes that day, and if you are willing, bring some guns for the freestyle round, if ya know what I'm sayin :)